Naples firefighter helmet cam captures response to house fire

Published: Updated:

NAPLES, Fla.- We’re getting a firsthand look at how Naples firefighters attacked an intense house fire early Sunday morning. One of those firefighters captured video of it through a camera attached to his helmet.

It happened at a home on Seashell Avenue just after 6 a.m. Investigators said it was sparked by a gas grill on their patio.

As firefighter Henis Bitri runs up to the home, you can see an orange glow of flames coming from one side of the house.

The firefighters then stretch a water line to the front door so they can go inside and prevent it from spreading.

“You can see the smoke pouring out. The front door was pretty thick, heavy, dark, black,” said Kyle Rambosk, who was acting lieutenant on scene.

Firefighters had to crawl into the house. They had zero visibility from the heavy smoke.

“You can’t see your hand in front of your face so we rely on all our other senses as far as touch, feel, listening,” said Rambosk.

While inside, the firefighters found a fire in the living room.

“We went ahead and put some water on it to extinguish the fire. At that point the heat was pretty intense, as soon as you put water on the fire the heat will double and get hotter.”

Rambosk tells WINK News responding to these fires can be dangerous so their training is key

“It’s a little surreal when you’re actually doing it, but you’re training kicks in most of the time so you’re not thinking that, you’re just doing what you’re trained to do.”

The couple was able to escape the home with their two dogs unharmed. They tell WINK News they feel very blessed.

Damages are estimated at $1.75 million and the house has been deemed unsafe. The owners say they plan to rebuild a new home.

Copyright ©2024 Fort Myers Broadcasting. All rights reserved.

This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without prior written consent.