FORT MYERS, Fla. – Bill Barnett and Peter Simmons have won their mayoral races in Naples and Bonita Springs, respectively, as Fort Myers Beach residents approved 18 out of 21 referendum items.
Barnett had 46 percent of the vote, according to unofficial results on the Collier County elections website. Teresa L. Heitmann came in second with 32.63 percent, followed by John f. Sorey III with 21.37 percent, according to the website.
Michelle McLeod, Ellen Seigel and Reg Buxton won seats on the Naples City Council.
Simmons won a close race with 50.68 percent of the vote to 45.10 percent of the vote from Stephen McIntosh, according to unofficial results on the Lee County elections website. Rick Steinmeyer came in third place with 4.21 percent of the vote.
Amy Burns Quaremba and Gregory L. DeWitt won Bonita Springs city council seats. Tracey Gore and Dennis C. Boback won Fort Myers Beach town council seats.
Here’s the results of the 21 items Fort Myers Beach residents voted on:
- Removing limitations on the town’s ability to engage in long term financing – Yes
- Lowing the requirements for resident initiatives – No
- Requiring three affirmative council member votes to take official action – Yes
- Extending council member terms of office from 3 to 4 years – No
- Eliminating term limits – No
- Establishing a town canvassing board – Yes
- Setting council member salaries and method for adjustment – Yes
- Clarify the date the mayor and vice-mayor are selected – Yes
- Clarifying the terms of forfeiture of office – Yes
- Amending and clarifying the process for the adoption of emergency town ordinances – Yes
- Clarify process of council action in response to recommendation of the charter review commission – Yes
- Establishing that violations of the charters non-interfence provisions constitute grounds for recall – Yes
- Clarifying territorial boundaries of the Town of Fort Myers Beach – Yes
- Updating requirements for keeping records and minutes of council meetings – Yes
- Clarifying the language regarding the filling of council member vacancies – Yes
- Clarifying that reasonable notice will be provided for all meetings – Yes
- Clarifying council vote to remove town manager – Yes
- Clarifying the terms of the town manager’s – Yes
- Removing the referendum requirement for road and bridge tolls – Yes
- Removing obsolete language regarding independent special districts – Yes
- Removing unnecessary language regarding revenue sharing – Yes