Authorities capture man believed to be with Diana Alvares

Reporter: Corey Lazar
Published: Updated:

OKEECHOBEE, Fla. — Authorities have captured a man believed to have abducted 9-year-old Diana Alvares from her home on 3540 Unique Circle in San Carlos Park, WINK News has confirmed.

Jorge Guerrero, 28, is in jail after having been taken into custody early Saturday morning in Okeechobee County. However, the child is still missing.

Uribe Jimenez, the girl’s stepfather, said he received a call from police Saturday telling him Guerrero had been arrested, but they had no news on Alvares. The family said they’ve been told authorities are questioning Guerrero in jail Saturday morning.

Orlando man Antonio Aguilar says he gave Guerrero shelter on the run, but that’s because there was no Amber Alert when he met Guerrero, so he didn’t know he was a fugitive.

“I think they should have put out the alert earlier. Because imagine, someone who just wanted to do something good was actually helping a fugitive.”

Aguilar says he spotted Guerrero at a restaurant in Orlando on Tuesday alone, begging for a place to stay.

“I feel like he took advantage of me, that he took me for a fool.”

But at the time he didn’t know the man was Jorge Guerrero.

“I saw he was all wet and well i didn’t think he was suspicious. on the contrary, i thought he was just a person that needed help.”

Aguilar says he let him stay at his home for two days, and on Thursday, Guerrero left, finding a ride to Okeechobee.

Later that day, Aguilar saw the Amber alert.

“I find the information on this guy, that they’re looking for him. and that to me was so suspicious. then i asked myself, wow who the hell did we have in our house?”

Aguilar then found a number for Diana’s family on social media and told them what happened.

He says Guerrero gave him a fake name, but he’s 100 percent sure it was the same man.

Deputies questioned Aguilar about Guerrero’s stay.

An initial court appearance for Guerreros hould take place Sunday morning at the Okeechobee County Courthouse, jail officials said.

Diana’s family says deputies were at their house Saturday collecting evidence that would prove Guerrero may have been there last weekend.

Diana was last seen Sunday at 2 a.m.

Family members have expressed concern about a strong attachment Alvares felt toward Guerrero, who at one time rented a room in their home at the Sheltering Pines Mobile Home Village.

Alvares’ mother, Rita Hernandez, said she was uncomfortable with the relationship between Guerrero and her daughter.

“He’d say things like ‘The girl’s gotten really cute’ or beautiful and that she’s so big,” Hernandez said. “To me, that’s not something a grown man can say about a 9-year-old girl.”

Hernandez said she confronted him, and he moved out May 2. Alvares was visibly upset when Guerrero returned to the home to move his van.

“Diana noticed that the van wasn’t here. So she comes to me and says, ‘Mom, did Jorge come to take his van?’ I said yes. Then she starts to cry. She then says, ‘But why didn’t Jorge wait for me?’” Hernandez said.

Authorities on Thursday located a Chevrolet Malibu that investigators believed Guerrero and Alvares had been traveling in, but there was no sign of either of the two at that point. Authorities said earlier this week that they believed Alvares was no longer in Lee County.

A $6,000 reward is being offered for information leading to missing Diana. If anyone knows the whereabouts of the 9-year-old or spots her, call 239-477-1000 or 911 immediately so authorities can dispatch a deputy to that location, the Lee County sheriff’s office said.

Copyright ©2024 Fort Myers Broadcasting. All rights reserved.

This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without prior written consent.