This video is not available.
FORT MYERS, Fla. — A family’s Christmas presents were saved after a fire took place at their Jeffcot Street home Saturday evening, the Fort Myers Fire Department said.
The blaze started just before 6:00 p.m. Firefighters said the family was making dinner and left while the food was still cooking.
When they returned, the home was ablaze.
However, firefighters were able to get the fire under control.
“We got the presents out,” said Battalion Chief Scott Davis. “The top of the Christmas tree was melted, but all the presents under the tree were OK. We salvaged a bicycle out of the bedroom and the presents under the tree.”
The family will stay in a hotel Saturday night while firefighters assess the damage.