Man hospitalized for venomous coral snake bite in North Fort Myers

Published: Updated:

A SWFL man is in the hospital after he was bitten by a venomous coral snake Saturday, officials with FWC confirm.

The owner of an animal refuge center says the snake bit a neighbor after he picked it up, not knowing what it was.

The man, whose identity has not yet been released, was taken to Lee Memorial Hospital. His condition is not known at this time.

FWC says a captive wildlife lieutenant was made aware of the situation and they are investigating.

Coral snakes are extremely venomous.

Trust WINK News to update this story as more information becomes available.

Copyright ©2023 Fort Myers Broadcasting. All rights reserved.

This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without prior written consent.