Dog alerts owner to fire at home in Cape Coral

Writer: Derrick Shaw
Published: Updated:
Credit: WINK News.

A dog saved its owner from a fire after she fell asleep while cooking.

Cape Coral Fire Department responded to a house fire on Coronado Parkway in Cape Coral Tuesday.

Lisa Mettler told us she started to fry onion rings when she fell asleep. Some of the oil boiled over and sparked a fire.

Her dog’s loud barks thankfully woke her up.

“We were running outside after the dog barked, called my husband and said, ‘Get your butt home,’ and called 911,” Mettler said. “And they got here. Perfect, but I haven’t been inside to see the damage.”

Mettler told us she threw a towel over the fire before running outside.

Cape Coral firefighters say the fire was out before they got there. They helped clear the smoke.

Copyright ©2024 Fort Myers Broadcasting. All rights reserved.

This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without prior written consent.