Home / Hurricane Central title story

The Weather Authority 2022 hurricane special: Bracing for Impact

With each hurricane season seeming more ominous than the next, one of nature’s most destructive forces, year after year, closes in on Florida. It takes only one hurricane to hit your community for it to be a bad year. Protecting your home and family, and knowing when to get out become paramount as a storm […]

NOAA predicts above-normal 2022 Atlantic Hurricane Season

Forecasters at NOAA’s Climate Prediction Center, a division of the National Weather Service, are predicting above-average hurricane activity this year — which would make it the seventh consecutive above-average hurricane season. NOAA’s outlook for the 2022 Atlantic hurricane season, which extends from June 1 to November 30, predicts a 65% chance of an above-normal season, a […]

New technology is helping reshape storm surge forecasting

Storm surge is historically the leading cause of hurricane-related deaths in the united states, however, new technology and better forecasting are helping to re-shape that statistic. That surge refers to the rise of water generated by a storm’s winds, and it’s typically measured in feet. It can travel several miles inland from the coast, rivers, […]

WINK News Special: Hurricane 2021 – Bracing for Activity

Weather experts are predicting another active and above-average Atlantic Hurricane Season with NOAA forecasting 13 – 20 named storms. Are you prepared? Watch the full 2021 WINK News hurricane special above. MORE: For Complete Coverage visit Hurricane Central MORE: WINK News Hurricane Guide 2021

NOAA predicts above-average 2021 Atlantic hurricane season

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration is predicting another above-normal Atlantic hurricane season. Forecasters predict a 60% chance of an above-normal season, a 30% chance of a near-normal season and a 10% chance of a below-normal season. A likely 13 to 20 named storms, including three to five major hurricanes, are expected during the 2021 […]

Make sure your home is insured before hurricane season

Insuring your home against a hurricane is more expensive than ever. We look into what you can do to make sure you have enough coverage for a worst-case scenario and save some money on your policy. Summertime in Southwest Florida just isn’t the same for Hope Daley and her husband Matthew Dykes. Hurricane Irma changed […]

NOAA Hurricane Hunters risk their lives to keep public informed

They risk their lives and fly into the eyes of hurricanes. In fact, NOAA Hurricane Hunters are the only organization allowed to actually fly into thunderstorms, tropical storms and hurricanes. And they do so to bring back data in order to help cities prepare for what’s coming. “We like to believe we are one piece […]

CSU predicts another above-average 2021 Atlantic hurricane season

Colorado State University hurricane researchers are predicting an above-average Atlantic hurricane season in 2021, citing the likely absence of El Niño as a primary factor. Tropical Atlantic sea surface temperatures are near their long-term averages, while subtropical Atlantic sea surface temperatures are much warmer than their long-term average values. The warmer subtropical Atlantic also favors […]

NHC predicts ‘extremely active’ hurricane season for the Atlantic

Atmospheric and oceanic conditions are primed to fuel storm development in the Atlantic, leading to what could be an “extremely active” season, according to forecasters with NOAA’s Climate Prediction Center, a division of the National Weather Service. Today, the agency released its annual August update to the Atlantic Hurricane Season Outlook, initially issued in May. […]