LABELLE, Fla. – A Lehigh Acres mother claims her 7-year-old girl found a pill in her french fries after a stop at a Labelle Burger King.
Dianna Caminos said they were on their way to Orlando when they stopped for lunch. Her daughter, Emma, had eaten almost all of her food when they made the discovery. Caminos got on the phone immediately.
“He said, ‘well I can offer you two free value meals, you know for your inconvenience,'” Caminos explained. “And I said, are you kidding me?”
The manager inside that Burger King told WINK News they had no comment on the incident.
Caminos said the manager she spoke with over the phone told her he would report the issue to their corporate offices. However, after six days of not hearing anything, she called corporate herself and they told her there had been no report filed.
“I mean they’re just treating this like, oh I forgot to put cheese on your burger or something.”
Caminos also contacted Poison Control who told her the pill is a generic form of a medicine used for migraines and menstrual problems.
Emma, who has autism and epilepsy, has been in and out of the hospital all of her life and already takes several medications. Caminos said she didn’t want to risk anything and took Emma to a doctor to be tested just in case some of the pill had been ingested.
Burger King’s corporate offices released a statement to WINK News saying:
“Food safety and the safety of all guests is a top priority for BURGER KING® restaurants globally. Our strict food handling procedures clearly outline that medications of any kind are not permitted in or near food preparation areas at any time. While this appears to be an isolated incident, we take this matter seriously and are working with the franchisee, who independently owns and operates the restaurant, to reinforce our food preparation procedures and retrain staff.”
Caminos also said she plans to file a report with the Hendry County Sheriff’s Office and has consulted with a lawyer.