Family recovering from carbon monoxide poisoning

Published: Updated:

GOLDEN GATE ESTATES, Fla. – A scary morning for one Southwest Florida family after being rushed to the hospital for Carbon Monoxide poisoning.

The Vielma family lives off of Desoto Boulevard, where the home filled with the poisonous gas.  One of the family members says she is thankful to be alive. “I felt really bad, I felt really sick, and that was right after I started inhaling it,” says Kenia Vielma.

North Collier Fire and Rescue responded to the home after receiving the call just before 6 a.m. Saturday morning.  Battalion Chief James Cunningham says the family was overcome by the gas, which they could neither see or smell.

Cunningham says the family was using a propane tank inside of the home with the windows and doors shut.

“Propane portable burners are not intended to be utilized inside a closed environment,” says Cunningham.  “They’re intended to be used for camping and outside.”

The family was transported to nearby hospitals and are expected to make a full recovery.


Copyright ©2024 Fort Myers Broadcasting. All rights reserved.

This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without prior written consent.