This video is not available.
What You’ll Need:
- 1 (3- to 3-1/2-pound) whole chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups vegetable shortening
What To Do:
- Place chicken in a large bowl and add enough cold water to cover. Add 2 teaspoons salt and soak chicken 20 minutes.
- In a shallow dish, combine flour, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, the garlic powder, cayenne pepper, and black pepper; mix well. Place buttermilk in another shallow dish.
- Remove chicken from water and dip in flour mixture, coating completely. Dip chicken in buttermilk then in flour mixture again, coating all sides.
- In a soup pot over medium-low heat, heat shortening until hot but not smoking, about 300 degrees F. Fry chicken in batches 8 to 10 minutes per side, or until golden and juices run clear. Drain on a paper towel-lined platter and serve immediately.