Home / FDLE releases video of Sanibel officer-involved shooting aftermath

FDLE releases video of Sanibel officer-involved shooting aftermath

Published: Updated:

SANIBEL, Fla. A new report shows jarring video of an officer-involved shooting on Sanibel.

Jon Hay, 49, of Sanibel, was charged with four counts of attempted first-degree murder on a law enforcement officer after Jared Ciccone, a Sanibel police officer, was shot in the shoulder while working a traffic stop on Nov. 20, 2016.

“I think his intent was to kill me,” Ciccone said in an interview with the Florida Department of Law Enforcement.

Ciccone was treated for his injuries and released two days later from Lee Memorial Hospital. He reacted with composure when speaking to the couple he originally stopped, according to the report.

“I’ve been shot. Pull over. You’re a witness,” Ciccone said.

Dash cam video shows the immediate wake of the shooting as well as events that unfolded later that night, including helicopter video of Hay being taken into custody, images of the AR-15 rifle Hay is accused of using, and bullet holes in police vehicles.

After the shooting, Hay fled the scene and traveled to the Dunes Neighborhood where he exchanged gunfire with Sanibel officers and Lee County Deputies, according to authorities.

He later barricaded himself in his home until he gave into police.

Hay’s father, William, called law enforcement and told them where he was, according to the FDLE report. He was shot and taken into custody from his home on the 1400 block of Sand Castle Road, according to police.

The shooting shut down part of the Sanibel Causeway, Periwinkle Way and other island roads for a couple of hours.

This incident was one of several officer-involved shootings across Southwest Florida that month.

Hay remains in custody on an $8 million bond. He was also charged with one count each of fleeing law enforcement and shooting at a vehicle.

His next court appearance is at 1:30 p.m. March 29 at the Lee County Clerk of Court on 1700 Monroe St.