74-year-old man found dead after North Port house fire

Reporter: Emma Heaton Writer: Derrick Shaw
Published: Updated:
North Port Fire Rescue Department arrived to the 6700 block of Electra Avenue at around 2:30 a.m., and found flames through the roof of the home. (Credit: City of North Port)

A 74-year-old man was found dead after a house fire was extinguished in North Port Sunday morning.

North Port Fire Rescue Department arrived in the 6700 block of Electra Avenue, near Panamerican Boulevard, at around 2:30 a.m. and found flames coming through the roof of the home. The roof and most of the structure of the home is burned, and the man who lived there has died. North Port authorities say they are not releasing his name at this time.

Madison Heid is North Port’s Communications Coordinator. “At around 2:30 in the morning, fire rescue received a call for a house on fire. Once they arrived on the scene, the house was 75% involved,” said Heid.

Three quarters of that home was engulfed in flames in what Heid described as a “very big fire.”

North Port Fire Rescue was able to handle the fire. “Once they were able to get that extinguished, they entered the home, did a search and did find a deceased individual inside,” Heid said.

The fire marshal’s office determined that no foul play was involved in starting the fire. The cause will probably not be able to be determined, according to a press release, because the man appeared to be living in hoarding conditions. The medical examiner’s office also investigated and did not find any signs of foul play.

David Sharkey lives just one street away from where this fire happened. He says that accidents like these should serve as a reminder to watch out for and help your neighbors.

“I would just try to compel people to keep an eye out for their neighbors and watch them come and go. Try to make sure everything’s alright,” said Sharkey.

Heid echoes that sentiment. “Look out for those around you. I mean we’re thinking about the individual who passed away and the friends and family involved. That’s such a tough thing to have to hear,” she said.  Heid says this reminder could save a life in the future.

Authorities say an investigation like this one could take a couple of days. Heid offers her thoughts and prayers to the victim’s family and friends.

Copyright ©2023 Fort Myers Broadcasting. All rights reserved.

This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without prior written consent.