Collier man remains hospitalized after fire burns down home

Author: Jennifer Jones
Published: Updated:

COLLIER COUNTY, Fla. – A Golden Gate Estates man remains hospitalized after he tried to fight a fire that started while he was in the shower. It happened Monday night at a home on 31st Street Southwest.

The family was going through the home Tuesday afternoon trying to salvage some of their belongings.

They said the house is considered a complete loss after an electrical fire sparked in the attic.

“A lot of past times that are irreplaceable, so it’s definitely gonna be hard,” said Shaun Silverwood.

Staring at more than 30 years of memories, Silverwood and his mom tried to pick up some of the pieces after flames destroyed their house.

“My dad when he got home, got in the shower, heard an explosion while he was in the shower and jumped out to find the house full of smoke.”

Silverwood tells WINK News his dad, who is a Vietnam veteran, ran across the street and asked their neighbor to call 911.

He then ran back and tried to fight the fire himself. “He was laying on his back trying to spray the fire and the neighbor came in and drug him out of the house.”

Silverwood said it’s devastating to see the home in this condition. And even though the road to rebuilding will take a while, he’s just grateful his neighbor was there to help.

“I thank him with my life, that’s something that you know, thankfully my father is still here and we have him to thank that for.”

Silverwood’s dad suffered carbon monoxide poisoning while trying to fight the fire.

Two of the families dogs died and they say one is still missing.

The homeowners are being assisted by the Red Cross.

Copyright ©2024 Fort Myers Broadcasting. All rights reserved.

This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without prior written consent.