This video is not available.
What You’ll Need:
- 2 Spanish-type onions
- 3 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, plus extra for frying
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2/3 cup water
What To Do:
- Peel onions and cut into 1/3-inch slices; separate into rings.
- Pour buttermilk into a large bowl; add onion rings and soak 30 minutes.
- In another large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, cayenne pepper, 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, the lemon juice, egg, and water; stir until smooth.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat 1-inch of oil until hot but not smoking. Remove onion rings from buttermilk and dip into batter mixture, then place in skillet and fry until golden brown, turning to brown evenly on both sides. Drain onion rings on paper towels.
- If your onions are small, use 4. These rings come out crunchiest when made in an electric skillet, because it’s easier to keep the oil at a consistent temperature.
Read more at http://www.mrfood.com/Vegetables/Crispy-Buttermilk-Onion-Rings#CzFCuPBmYEA7qdoF.99