This video is not available.
Adolescents drink to much caffeine:
- 83.2% of teens regularly consume caffeine.
- 96% of teens occasionally consume caffeine.
- 1% of caffeine comes from energy drinks.
- Coffee is the biggest culprit!
- Hidden caffeine: tea, iced tea, soda.
How much caffeine is safe?
- Adults: 400 mg of caffeine per day is safe for adults.
- Equals: 4 cups of coffee, 10 cans of cola, 2 energy shot drinks
- Heavy Use: 500-600 mg a day
- Moderate Use: 100-400 mg can cause symptoms in children and adolescents.
Side effects of heavy caffeine usage:
- Sleep problems
- Gastrointestinal disturbances
- Increased heart rate
- Even death
- 44.6% drank caffeinated beverages 1-6 x/week.
- 11.4% consumed caffeine daily.
- 4.8% never consumed caffeine.
- Reason for consuming: stay alert!
- Parent role model was an important factor.
- Media and social norms played a role.
- Awareness of negative health issues with caffeine.
- Maximum of 100 mg a day for adolescents.
- No caffeine for younger children.
- More research is needed.
- Education re: caffeine overconsumption and intoxication.
- Educate on ways to boost energy – healthy diet and adequate sleep.