This video is not available.
Fruit Juices and Smoothies:
- 2.5 tsp. in a 3.5 oz serving.
- Equivalent to 2/3 – 1/2 child’s daily intake.
- Over 40% of drinks contain 4 tsp of sugar.
- American adults = 22 tsp of added sugar per day
- Teens = 34 tsp of added sugar per day
- 12 oz can of soda = 10 tsp of sugar
- AHA recommends: 3-4 tsp per day for children, 5 tsp per day for teens
- UK National Health Service = AHA recommendations.
Heath Effects of Increased Sugar:
- Weight gain
- Tooth decay
- Sweet tooth
- No juice under 6 months old.
- 1-6 yr olds: <4-6 oz juice per day.
- 7-18 yr olds: 8-12 oz per day
- Watch out for ‘natural juices.’
- Artificial sweeteners get taste buds used to sweet
- Consume a whole fruit – not juices
- Dilute juices with water
- Limit to <5 oz per day