Australian man suffers burns from exploding iPhone

Published: Updated:
Gareth Clear via Instagram

SYDNEY, Australia — A 36-year-old Australian man says the iPhone he had in his pocket exploded, causing him to suffer burns that required skin-graft surgery.

Gareth Clear said on his Instagram that he’d suffered a “very weird injury,” which The Daily Mail reports as third-degree burns. He told The Daily Telegraph in Australia that it happened after he’d fallen off his bike and seconds later noticed smoke and heat coming from the phone.

Clear told the Daily Telegraph that the fall had somehow pierced the lithium battery of the phone, which he said he’s had for only six months.

Clear also burned his fingers as he tried remove his shorts and the phone, which were stuck to his body, according to The Daily Mail. He ultimately used his fist to punch the phone off his burning skin.

Apple reached out on Twitter, asking Clear to send them a direct message with details of what happened.

Copyright ©2024 Fort Myers Broadcasting. All rights reserved.

This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without prior written consent.