This video is not available.
A woman in Lehigh Acres living on 13th Street SW recorded a bear walking through her neighborhood over the weekend. And it was all caught on cam.
FWC advises, if someone sees a bear its best to not approach it and just observe from a distance.
Often bears are only in neighborhood for the food, so if residents can help remove the attractants the bears will typically move on. This is also our first course of actions if we have a problem bear in the area, educating everyone in the area about removing the attractants is very effective if everyone does so.
Here are some tips:
- Put household garbage out on the morning of pickup rather than the night before (this one is probably the easiest and most effective)
- Secure commercial garbage in bear-resistant dumpsters.
- Protect gardens, beehives, compost and livestock with electric fencing.
- Encourage your homeowners association or local government to institute bylaws or ordinances to require trash be kept secure from bears.
- Feed pets indoors or bring dishes indoors after feeding.
- Clean grills and store them in a secure place.
- Remove wildlife feeders or make them bear-resistant.