Carbon monoxide killed Marines whose bodies were found in car, say deputies

Published: Updated:

Carbon monoxide poisoning has been ruled the cause of death for the Naples United States Marine Corporal, and two other Marines, who died in a vehicle.

According to the Pender County Sheriff’s Office, the deaths of Marine Corps Lance Corporal Tanner J. Kaltenberg, 19, Merax C. Docker, 23, and Ivan R. Garcia, 23, who was from Naples, are consistent with Carbon monoxide poisoning.

The Pender County Sheriff’s Office does not suspect any foul play, but owner Ryan Krape of R.E.A. Automotive told WINK News it’s a strange case.

“I can’t see any logical reason as for why there would be that much poisoning, enough to take your life. Unless you are encased in a car, encased in something that actually can’t allow any good ventilation,” Krape said.

Garcia, Kaltenberg and Dockery were found in a car outside a gas station. A wide, open area. An unknown leak, however, can be dangerous.

Ryan Krape points out the duct CREDIT WINK News

“Underneath this duct here is what they call a fresh air duct, and that fresh air duct pulls air from the outside into the cab,” Krape explained. “So if you had an exhaust leak through a manifold that’s cracked of some nature, some of those fumes can sneak up under here. That gets sucked into the car, and you can breathe that in.”

It’s still unclear what led to the three men getting carbon monoxide poisoning. It is still an ongoing investigation.

“I am saddened by the timeless and tragic death of these three young men, who served our country honorably. Our thoughts and prayers remain with their families and colleagues during this time,” said Pender County Sheriff Alan W. Cutler.

Stay tuned to, WINK News App, streaming, and on air for any new developments on this story.

Copyright ©2024 Fort Myers Broadcasting. All rights reserved.

This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without prior written consent.