Pot of boiling water falls on 1-year-old

Author: Alec Schreck
Published: Updated:

COLLIER COUNTY, Fla.- A one-year-old boy was scalded by boiling water after he pulled a pot from the stove.

The child has severe burns over half of his body and is recovering at a Tampa hospital.

Steve Estiverne says he was in his room when he heard loud screams in the kitchen late Thursday afternoon.

“The mother was washing the dishes, and then he came out of the other room, he was playing with the other children and then he grabbed that and the water fell on him and the mother was screaming,” said Estiverne.

Estiverne tells WINK News at first the mother didn’t realize it was her son, screaming with what Collier County EMS reported as second-degree burns over half his body.

The child was taken by helicopter to Lee Memorial Hospital in Fort Myers and later transferred to the burn center in Tampa.

Tampa General Hospital tells WINK News the boy is in fair condition.

A spokeswoman for Safe Kids, an organization that educates parents on parenting safely, ays accidents can happen quickly.

“Whenever there’s a major holiday, we have to be extra vigilant, because we are multitasking and accidents can occur in, you know, less than a minute,” said Kristin Millet.

For tips and safety guidelines to prevent accidents from occurring in your home, visit www.safekids.org.

Copyright ©2023 Fort Myers Broadcasting. All rights reserved.

This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without prior written consent.