FORT MYERS, Fla. – On Wednesday’s the WINK kitchen gets fired up. Chef Vinny from the Neapolitan Gourmet in Naples stopped in to show us how to make Manicotti Shells.
Below is the recipe.
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup-3/4 cup whole milk (can substitute skim milk)
- Pinch of salt
Makes 8 shells
- Cooking oil or Crisco
- Heat large fry pan on med-high (375 degrees for an electric frying pan)
- Beat eggs with mixer or egg beater, add flour slowly along with milk and salt until batter is completely blended.
- Moisten a folded paper towel with oil and grease pan lightly and keep close by
- Fill large spoon (about 1/8 cup) and pour quickly in center of pan. With bottom of spoon, mold into circle by circling the mixture in the pan and spreading it until circle is formed.
- When shell appears to becooked (about 20 seconds) flip carefully by hand to cook other side (about 3 seconds)Reserve to plate.
- Swipe pan in between each shell with paper towel and replenish oil as needed. Stir batter before each one as well.
- 15 oz. Ricotta Cheese (whole or skim)
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup Romano grated cheese
- ¼ cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 tbs. fresh chopped Italian parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
Mix together in bowl
- When the shells are cooled, add a heaping tablespoon of ricotta mixture to each shell and roll closed.
- Add a small amount of your favorite tomato sauce to bottom of shallow baking pan, and place filled shells next to one another.
- Top lightly with sauce. Be sure to add sauce to the ends of the shells to avoid them from drying during the baking process.
- Bake for about 20 minutes at 350 degrees .
- Serves 4