Son saves mother from Fort Myers house fire

Published: Updated:

Several people were inside the house on Lura Avenue when it caught fire around 10:30 Wednesday morning.

Two people were sent to the hospital.

The homeowner, Patricia Standberry, says an AC unit in the carport started smoking and caught fire. Standberry says her son woke her up while she was sleeping, warning her of the flames.

” If it hadn’t been for my son, I would have been burnt up. Burnt up in that fire. My son saved my life today. I want to thank him and God,” said Standberry.

“I had to go get her. I had to go get her. No doubts about it,” said Standberry’s son James Jackson.

Standberry’s goddaughter went to the hospital with cuts and bruises after trying to escape through a window.

A neighbor was also treated for smoke inhalation.

The back of the home was destroyed and firefighters say they needed to take parts of the ceiling down. The home is now condemned, with significant damage to the carport and two rooms.

The goddaughter and neighbor are expected to be okay. Standberry is grateful everyone is safe and sound, thanks to her son.

The fire department says the fire was accidental.




Copyright ©2023 Fort Myers Broadcasting. All rights reserved.

This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without prior written consent.