NAPLES, Fla. — Someone in Collier County has become infected with vibrio vulnificus, a bacteria transmitted in the water, the Department of Health said.
The bacteria can cause vomiting, diarrhea and abdominal pain. Those who eat contaminated seafood or have an open wound that is exposed to warm seawater containing the bacteria are at risk.
The identity of the person is unclear, and it’s unknown exactly how the infection was contracted.
A man is fighting a flesh-eating bacteria believed to have been contracted in gulf waters off Naples, and doctors believe it may be related to vibrio. However, it’s unknown if he has the case of vibrio that the Department of Health is referring to.
The Department of Health advises against going in the water with fresh scrapes or wounds and says shellfish should be cooked thoroughly.
Vibrio infections are relatively rare. Only 16 cases have been reported so far this year across Florida.