Heroic neighbors save Englewood couple from house fire


ENGLEWOOD, Fla. –An elderly couple was rescued Tuesday from their Englewood home shortly before it was engulfed in flames.

The couple had started a fire in the fireplace and were changing clothes in a back room when the chimney caught on fire, according to their son. Two neighbors then knocked on the door to warn them but didn’t get a response.

“They end up breaking into the house and yelling for my folks to get out of the house because it was on fire,” said Joe Marinola, the couple’s son.

Marinola rushed over when he heard about the fire.

“I was only two and a half miles away and by the time I got here, the roof was fully engulfed,” Marinola said.

The fire quickly spread throughout the house, collapsing the roof and reducing nearly the entire home to ashes.

While Marinola’s parents are saddened by the loss, they’re grateful for their heroic neighbors.

“We’re just thankful that somebody looked out for my parents last night,” Marinola said.

Copyright ©2023 Fort Myers Broadcasting. All rights reserved.

This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without prior written consent.