Cigarette, oxygen spark blaze that guts Bonita house


BONITA SPRINGS, Fla. β€” Fire devastated a house Thursday on the 11300 block of Sunray Drive after a woman smoking a cigarette inside got too close to an oxygen tank, sparking the blaze, fire officials said.

The woman was unhurt, and two dogs inside were also able to escape without harm, according to authorities. Three other people live there, but they weren’t home at the time the fire began, which started shortly before 8 a.m.

Firefighters from Bonita Springs Fire Control and Rescue were still working to extinguish hot spots at noon. The home is likely a total or near-total loss, with extensive smoke, heat and water damage.

The American Red Cross was on scene to help the occupants deal with the property loss.

Copyright Β©2024 Fort Myers Broadcasting. All rights reserved.

This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without prior written consent.