Lee County mom behind bars after son ingests methadone

Published: Updated:

FORT MYERS, Fla.- A 1-year-old boy nearly died after drinking his mother’s liquid methadone, said Lee County deputies.

Anna Highland was arrested Wednesday after authorities say she left the powerful narcotic, used to treat drug addition, on the kitchen table while running out to the car.

When she returned, her son Charley, was on the floor with the open container. Highland told deputies she didn’t believe the child had actually ingested any of it and took a nap. When she woke up, the child was unresponsive.

First responders say the boy went into respiratory failure, had symptoms of a narcotic overdose, and suffered from severe oxygen deprivation.

The 1-year-old is now believed to be partially blind. He was placed in medical foster care.

Copyright ©2023 Fort Myers Broadcasting. All rights reserved.

This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without prior written consent.