Grease fire destroys Fort Myers home


FORT MYERS, Fla. – Neighbors were evacuated after a grease fire charred the inside of a home at Cortez Boulevard and Sunset Place, according to Fort Myers police.

The resident said he had a pan of grease on the stove and walked away for a few minutes. When he returned, the house was filling with smoke, the person said.

Police blocked off six blocks off road near the home.

The landlord, Patrick Esposito, rushed to the home when he heard about the fire. He said he was concerned about his tenants.

“My main concern was that nobody was hurt — that’s what I asked the police men and firefighters. I was glad nobody was hurt and then, of course, I wanted to find out what happened,” he said. “I lost a house but they lost a home. That’s what hurts more than anything.”

No one was injured. The house was older, which may have contributed to the rapid spread of the flames, authorities said.

Copyright ©2024 Fort Myers Broadcasting. All rights reserved.

This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without prior written consent.