Unattended food on a stovetop destroys home in Port Charlotte


Unattended food on the stove is believed to be the cause of the fire that destroyed a home Tuesday night on Wellington Avenue in Port Charlotte.

The fire call was received by 911 at 10:42 p.m. The first unit arrived and reported smoke from all sides of the house with heavy fire. Four fire engines had the blaze under control by 11:12 p.m. Red Cross provided temporary housing for two adults displaced by the fire.

Charlotte County Fire & EMS reminds everyone to use caution and stay alert while cooking in the kitchen.

According to the National Fire Protection Association, cooking equipment is the leading cause of home fires and fire injuries, causing 48% of fires that resulted in 21% of the home fire deaths. Two-thirds (66%) of home cooking fires start with the ignition of food or other cooking materials. Ranges or cooktops account for almost two-thirds (63%) of home cooking fire incidents. Unattended equipment is a factor in one-third (32%) of reported home cooking fires and a half (45%) of the associated deaths. Frying dominates the cooking fire problem.

Thanksgiving is the peak day for home cooking fires, followed by Christmas Day and Christmas Eve.

Copyright ©2023 Fort Myers Broadcasting. All rights reserved.

This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without prior written consent.