Family sifts through home after fire kills one

Author: Andrew Scheinthal
Published: Updated:

LEHIGH ACRES, Fla.-  A family is in mourning after a fire took the life of their mother and left their father severely burned.

The State Fire Marshal tells WINK News an electrical malfunction caused the fire.

The fire broke out Monday night on Jersey Road, just a few blocks away from Lehigh Acres Middle School.

Linda and Gordon Evans’ family has been at the home all day long, sifting through the ashes. Police say Linda died in the fire, Gordon was flown to Tampa General Hospital with severe burns.

Neighbors have stopped by and shared their condolences.

Roberto Rodriguez lives across the street from the Evans.

“I saw the smoke reaching the floor, that’s when I decided to call 911,” said Rodriguez.

Rodriguez says neighbors tried to go in and save the couple0 but the smoke was too thick to break through.

“It was so thick that it was almost like, almost a wall,” said Rodriguez.

The couple’s family spent most of the day salvaging what they could. Family members say the couple moved into the home just after they got married.

With a family in so much pain, neighbors in the community are coming together, trying to support the family the best way they can.

The family hopes to set up a fund at a local bank so members of the community can help them out financially.

Copyright ©2024 Fort Myers Broadcasting. All rights reserved.

This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without prior written consent.