Dog rescued from burning home in Bonita Springs

Author: Nicole Papageorge

Bonita Springs, Fla. – A dog is reunited with its owner after a daring rescue from a burning home in Bonita Springs.  The fire started just before noon on Tarpon Way and when firefighters arrived on scene, they rushed to save the dog.

In cellphone video taken by the Bonita Springs Fire Chief, you can see a neighbor hugging Lucky the dog after firefighter John Kutz rescued him from inside the house.

“It was pretty hard to see in there,” said Kutz.

Kutz tells WINK News the fire started in the kitchen after the stove was left on. It quickly made its way into the attic and through the home. Lucky, was home alone.

“As soon as we got in the door we were told there was an animal in the house,” said Kutz.  “[We] started performing our primary search, we open up all the windows as we go. We got to the back bedroom and I was gonna check under the bed and I heard his little chain jingling and found him in the corner and just picked him up and took him outside.”

Firefighters gave Lucky oxygen and he was as good as new. His owner, Ray Hildreth, tells WINK News he didn’t give Lucky his name for any particular reason. But, today, it was very fitting.

“I was fearful,” said Hildreth. “He’s my best friend. I was just grateful that he was okay.”

Bonita Springs firefighters estimate the fire caused about $10,000 worth of damage to the home.

Copyright ©2024 Fort Myers Broadcasting. All rights reserved.

This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without prior written consent.