NAPLES, Fla. – The demolition and rebuilding of the pier is getting closer to the finish line. Only WINK News got a look at the progress on Monday.
In 2 months, crews have put the majority of the deck and railing in place. “Some of the sections that are cut out are basically for all of the mechanical, electrical plumbing that still needs to go underneath the deck” said KP Pezeshkan with Manhattan Construction.
Certain areas of the railing are now handicap accessible. The bathrooms have doubled in size and the city council just approved some new renovations for the structures at the end of the pier. “We’re going to be re-roofing all 3 structures” said Pezeshkan. “And re-skinning, basically putting new material around the existing buildings.”
The pier has been closed off to beachgoers since the project started on July 6.
“I use to come down here and spend my time watching the fisherman, the turtles, watching the rays and manatees” said Andy Fyfe.
Fyfe is from a small town near London. His family likes to come to Naples for vacation. “It was looking a bit tired last year and I see they’re doing good work so hopefully I can come back and see the new pier.”
Police have arrested several people for trespassing since the construction started. Just last week 4 people were caught.
Pezeshkan wants to remind people to stay off the site because it’s dangerous. “There are no warnings it is a no trespassing area, but still we find that some of the younger crowds want to climb up on the pier and risk getting caught.”
The pier is expected to re-open in November.