FORT MYERS, Fla. – Exactly four weeks after a mass shooting left two dead and 18 others injured outside a night club, a Lehigh Acres woman faced a federal judge in connection with the case.
Jazmin Challana Barron, 33, pleaded not guilty on Monday to lying about her address when purchasing a gun in 2015. If convicted, she faces five years in prison and a $250,000 fine. Her next court appearance is scheduled for Sept. 12.
Shell casings from the scene were linked to Barron’s gun, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms & Explosives said.
Barron told authorities her gun was stolen, the ATF said.
The address mix-up was due to a “paperwork error” from using a previous address on her drivers license when purchasing the gun, said her attorney, Robert Harris, who added that Barron has since moved multiple times.
It was while moving that the gun was either misplaced, “someone either stole it or picked it up somewhere” and it went through multiple hands, Harris said.
“This gun ended up in the wrong hands, and somebody used it to commit a crime,” he said. “Jazmin Barron didn’t commit a crime with it. Jazmin Barron doesn’t know who committed a crime with it. Jazmin Barron doesn’t know the people who committed a crime with it. Simple as that.”
Barron is now unemployed due to the gun charge, Harris said.
“She says she’s fine but there were tears in her eyes this morning and she was upset,” he said. “She lost her job, a job she cared about, a job she supported her family with and its unlikely she’ll find a job with this hanging over her head.”
Six lawsuits have been filed since the July 25 shooting. Sean Archilles, 14, and Stef’an Strawder, 18, were killed after shots were fired outside the Evans Avenue establishment.
Lee County Sheriff’s Office detectives identified three people of interest in connection to the shooting, but they were later released on bond. Their charges were related to a vehicle and foot pursuit hours after the shooting.
No arrests have been made for the two deaths or those injured in the shooting.
Fort Myers police described the case as “very active” and said they’re following up on all leads and tips.
Southwest Florida Crime Stoppers received a total of 17 tips, but the organization said they’ve received none within the last week.