Lehigh family exposed to infectious disease after dog’s death

Published: Updated:

LEHIGH ACRES, Fla. The Lappas family was devastated after Titan, their beloved 10-year-old Chinese Shar-Pei, died Wednesday from an infectious disease.

The family took Titan to the Animal Medical Center of Lehigh Acres, where they found out he died of Leptospirosis — and they could be in danger.

“It’s something I hadn’t even thought of,” Christy Lappas said.

Leptospirosis is a bacterial disease that can be transmitted to humans through bodily fluids, such as blood or urine. If left untreated, it could cause kidney failure.

“We have to have our tests done as well, it is curable,” Lappas said. “There’s a vaccine for dogs and, as in humans, it is curable. They use antibiotics, but it can be fatal if it’s not caught in time.”

However, the family is still concerned what killed Titan could still be around.

“It’s still scary because you never know where it could be or how our dog even contracted it,” Lappas said.

The family will be getting their blood drawn and their other dog tested this week.


Copyright ©2024 Fort Myers Broadcasting. All rights reserved.

This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without prior written consent.