FORT MYERS, Fla. Debris from Hurricane Irma is strewn all across Southwest Florida.
Crews working to clear it ask that Lee County residents follow these guidelines so they can clean it up as quickly as possible:
- Place storm debris at the curb, not in the road.
- Keep separate piles: one each for garbage, yard waste, building debris, appliances, and other waste.
- Take household chemicals to the Topaz Court Solid Waste Annex at 6441 Topaz Court in Fort Myers. Don’t put them at the curb.
- Don’t place anything beneath low-hanging obstacles like trees or power lines or near water meters, fire hydrants, mailboxes, and especially downed power lines.
- Household garbage must be placed in a 40-gallon can or heavy mil plastic bag, and the containers plus trash must weigh no more than 50 pounds. If you have a larger county-provided container for automated garbage collection, you may use that as well.
- Yard waste doesn’t need to be bundled.
- See more information on debris pickup for your specific location at leegov.com/solidwaste.