A hydrochloric acid spill at the Port Charlotte Adventist School caused a HAZMAT response Wednesday afternoon.
Charlotte County Fire and EMS said there were no injuries, but all 41 kids were transported to either Fawcett Memorial Hospital or Bayfront Hospital to be checked out as a precaution.
Bevin Gallo with Bayfront confirmed, of the 21 students at their hospital there were no admissions.
The acid spill happened in a janitor’s closet and a HAZMAT team is currently at the scene for assessment and cleanup, according to Charlotte County Fire and EMS.
Pastor at the school, Brian Cassell, said in a statement: “At Port Charlotte Adventist School, we take the health and safety of all of our students a top priority.By recommendation of emergency management services and out of an abundance of caution, we have transported all Port Charlotte Adventist Students to a local medical facility to ensure all students are safe. All parents have been contacted. Administration is and will continue to cooperate with authorities.”
Charlotte Fire & EMS said in a tweet “Our Hazmat Unit mitigated the hydrochloric acid spill by removing the part of the closet where the spill occurred.”
The roadways around the school at 2100 Loveland Boulevard have since reopened, and students are expected to return to class Thursday.