LCSO: Suspect in custody after standoff at Fort Myers McDonald’s

Published: Updated:
(Credit: Lee County Sheriff’s Office)

A suspect is in custody after shooting at police and barricading in a Fort Myers McDonald’s where he hid for about two hours on Saturday afternoon.

Lee County Sheriff Carmine Marceno said the suspect, who has been identified as 41-year-old Marlon Illescas, was taken to a local hospital with minor injuries.

Illescas is facing seven counts of aggravated assault on an officer as well as other charges related to the standoff. Bond has been set at $475,000.

“We meet deadly force with deadly force in this county,” Marceno said after the Illescas was detained.

After a loud pop and a flash, smoke appeared. When the smoke cleared, law enforcement emerged with the suspect in custody. “Today we used less than lethal and we gassed him out so he cooperated,” Marceno said. “Obviously, our SWAT team deployed the OC gas and obviously, you know, he wasn’t going to breathe much longer inside there. He comes out and we take him to custody without incident.”

Marceno said the incident began at around 11 a.m. when Fort Myers police officers encountered the armed individual who shot at police officers.

Marceno did not say whether anyone was injured. Marceno said the action of law enforcement prevented a mass shooting. For hours, LCSO, The Fort Myers Police Department and the SWAT team did what they could to keep an active shooter behind a door and away from the crowds watching outside.

“We are working… using every technology piece that we have. Both teams as you can see here FMPD and LCSO. We’re going to do everything we can to make sure this is peacefully resolved,” said Sheriff Marceno.

The suspect then fled into the restaurant at 4280 Palm Beach Boulevard.

Marceno said the police and deputies got all of the employees out safely. “FMPD and the Lee County Sheriff’s office went in, were able to get all the employees out for safety,” Marceno said.

WINK News Safety and Security Specialist Rich Kolko says law enforcement wanted everyone out in a timely manner. “They want to make sure everyone comes home safely, But of course, they’re going to work diligently to get anybody in harm’s way out of there as quick as possible while the negotiations continue,” said Kolko.

Copyright ©2024 Fort Myers Broadcasting. All rights reserved.

This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without prior written consent.