South Florida boy injured in fireworks accident

Author: Associated Press
Published: Updated:

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (AP) – A 13-year-old Fort Lauderdale boy is recovering at a hospital after a firework exploded in his hand.

The boy’s family members told local television stations that Javonte McNair lost his entire hand in the fireworks accident on Wednesday afternoon.

Fort Lauderdale Fire Rescue Deputy Chief Timothy Heiser says the child was taken to Broward Health Medical Center. He says witnesses gave conflicting accounts of what happened.

He says the city’s fire marshal’s office is investigating.

McNair is one of three children reported injured by fireworks in Broward County this week. On Sunday, a 5-year-old girl received second-degree burns in a fireworks-related incident. And on Monday, a 14-year-old girl was seriously injured when a firework exploded in her hand.

Heiser says it’s important to keep children away from fireworks.

Copyright ©2024 Fort Myers Broadcasting. All rights reserved.

This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without prior written consent.