Viral video sparks debate about furniture danger for children

Published: Updated:

FORT MYERS, Fla. — A close call between 2-year-old twins climbing in dresser drawers at their Utah home has garnered national attention thanks to surveillance video that’s gone viral.

The dresser toppled on one of them, pinning him underneath. The other brother tried to help and eventually freed him.

Dr. Annette St. Pierre Mackoul, who owns a private practice in Fort Myers, believes the terrifying fall could have been avoided if the room had been child-proofed.

“The dresser wasn’t bolted against the wall, the drawers were not secured and the children did get into trouble,” she said.

Over 2,500 children are injured every year as a result of objects falling on top of them, mainly televisions and furniture, according to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission.

For more information on how to protect children from a tip-over tragedy, click here.

Copyright ©2024 Fort Myers Broadcasting. All rights reserved.

This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without prior written consent.