Cape Coral resident stops burglary suspect, holds at gunpoint until police arrive

Published: Updated:
Tre Sterling Estes-Stanlos. Photo via Cape Coral Police

A burglary was interrupted when the resident of a home held the suspected burglar at gunpoint until police arrived on the scene.

According to Cape Coral Police, Tre Sterling Estes-Stalnos, 18, who was previously shot by police and arrested during a 3-hour standoff in May, 2016, was arrested again, this time for Grand Theft of a Firearm.

MORE: Teen arrested in Cape Coral officer-involved shooting

Thursday night, Estes-Stalnos was seen on camera by residents through the Ring doorbell security camera trying to break into their home.

The caller who reported the attempted burglary to police, said her husband was going outside to investigate and that he was armed with a handgun.

A short time later the caller said there was yelling and the caller’s spouse “might be outside getting hurt.”

When police arrived, they heard two different men in an argument. The officer shined a light on Estes-Stalnos and saw multiple items near his feet, including several guns and ammunition cases.

Police told him to freeze but he took off running towards Del Prado Boulevard.

With the help of aviation and a K-9, police were able to track Estes-Stalnos down and detain him.

A Property Crimes Unit Detective and Forensics responded to assist with the investigation which determined that Estes-Stalnos had entered the garage on the 2000 block of SE 15th Avenue and stole three (3) firearms, two ammo cans, a range bag, and a black backpack.

All stolen property was returned to the victim.

Estes-Stalnos was charged with Armed Occupied Burglary, 3-counts of Grand Theft of a Firearm, Grand Theft, and Resisting Arrest without Violence.

Estes-Stalnos was later transferred to the Lee County Jail.

Copyright ©2024 Fort Myers Broadcasting. All rights reserved.

This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without prior written consent.