Report shows SWFL teen attended large event, treated with hydroxychloroquine before COVID-19 death

Reporter: Breana Ross Writer: Jack Lowenstein
Published: Updated:
Carsyn Davis. Credit: Shared with WINK News.

A new report by Florida Department of Law Enforcement shows the parents of 17-year-old Carsyn Davis gave her hydroxychloroquine at home before going to the hospital, where she died of the coronavirus in June. The report also showed she attended a large church function with more than 100 people prior to her death.

Carsyn, a beloved member of the Cypress Lake community in Lee County, also attended First Assembly of God Church in south Fort Myers. We spoke to someone at the church Monday who declined to give an interview on camera but did tell us the church hosted a youth church service June 10 with 140 teenagers and adults, including Carsyn.

With the current spike in COVID-19 cases, the church told us it has stopped hosting large gatherings.

It’s been 13 days since Carsyn died of COVID-19. She was known and loved at her school, her church and in her community.

FDLE is working to track all COVID-19 related deaths in the state. In its report listing Florida deaths, it showed Carsyn attended the church function.

Robert Hawkes, the director of the FGCU physician assistant program, says large groups are something to avoid.

“Ideally, we don’t want them to gather in large groups because we know that that’s one way COVID-19 is spreading, especially amongst the younger, healthier populations,” Hawkes said.

The FDLE report also says Carsyn’s parents treated her with azithromycin. The report says Carsyn developed symptoms June 13. On June 19, her mother reportedly used Carsyn’s grandfather’s home oxygen machine to treat Carsyn when she appeared gray.

Carsyn’s parents reportedly gave her hydroxychloroquine before taking her to the hospital.

Hawkes says that medication is very strong and should only be taken when prescribed.

“I would really encourage people that, if you’re going to take a prescription medication, make sure you know what it is and that it’s been prescribed by someone, and they’ve completely described what the medication is, how it works and any potential side effects that you may experience from various medications,” Hawkes said.

Once at the hospital, Carsyn received plasma therapy June 20 and June 21. Her parents reportedly declined intubation until June 22. Carsyn died June 23.

It’s unclear if Carsyn had a prescription for hydroxychloroquine.

On a memorial Facebook page, the family says she fought health challenges since the age of two, including cancer and a rare autoimmune disorder.

We reached out to Carsyn’s mom for comment on the report, and we’re waiting to hear back.

Copyright ©2024 Fort Myers Broadcasting. All rights reserved.

This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without prior written consent.